Needless to say, I cannot wait for Season 2
Last weekend I had the pleasure of being an NYC tourist. Now, isn't it funny that when you're in other cities you do all the cheezy touristy activities but when you're in New York you scoff at all the tourists taking pictures with the most mundane things (cue photos in front of Macy's, cocktails etc.)
The day started out well. It was 70 and sunny. The tour guidess was freaking awesome. She's a standup comic, Amy Albert and quite possibly the funniest I've seen in a while. She kept the energy high and the crowd laughing. Amy laughed, joked, pointed out Sex and the City landmarks and then played the clips from the show to refresh your memory. For an avid fan of SATC the tour was a dream come true, and this is coming from a New Yorker(yeah, yeah I'm from Cleveland, I've lived here for 5 years). There are so many places you didn't realize were where your favorite scene took place. It really made the show come to life.
Note to all you Mommies on vacay with your daughters, this tour is NOT PG. The guide starts off the tour by exclaiming that this isn't the TBS version of SATC–we're on the HBO show tour. We then began the day by screaming obscenities to warm ourselves up.
We had an awesome day and I'd absolutely recommend this tour to anyone–girls looking for fun, bachelorettes, fashionistas.
I'm happy to be able to host a giveaway of 2 tickets to the daily public Sex & the City Tour (an $84 value) courtesy of On Screen Tours – the gift certificates never expire so the winner can use them whenever you visit New York in the future.
To enter just leave us a comment AND either:
Subscribe to our Daily Email; or
Mention @MsSmartypanties and the Giveaway; or
Post about it on your personal blog for 2 entries!
Winner will be announced April 17th! So get your entries in!
“It's really hard to walk in a single woman's shoes — that's why you sometimes need really special shoes!" –Carrie Bradshaw
*FTC Disclosure: We were given two tickets to do this review*
Jared Koch, is the founder of Clean Plates NYC, a healthy, sustainability-focused NYC restaurant guide. Kind of like Zagats gone green and organic. Koch and food critic Alex Van Buren researched over 300 restaurants and chose 75 to review in their book,
Koch's philosophy is that everybody should be eating real, whole foods, namely veggies and fruits. His book is a way for busy New Yorkers to pick out restaurants that'll be easy to eat healthy at. With so many amazing bakeries offering up processed sugar and bleached flour on every corner sometimes it's hard to know what restaurants have healthy alternatives and use whole ingredients. Enter, Clean Plates NYC.
The book consists of two parts–the first half is advice on eating well. Very simple and easy to follow, even for those of you who grab a coffee and croissant from your local cart and a slice for lunch–there are easy AND healthy options just around the corner. The second half is an awesome resource to help you pick the healthier options when dining out in NYC, which let's be honest is a good portion of the time (ahem, espesh for those of us working 2 jobs!). It just takes the guesswork out of going through Zagats and trying to find a review that mentions whole wheat or local ingredients. It makes it easier to eat well.
The reviews themselves are great. He spells out the bests and worsts and must-haves at each establishment. Each review is quirky and honest. He takes care to mention the ambience and even the drink list. Many restaurants in the book are very health-conscious even offering many vegan and vetarian options. However, he does throw in a few burger and pizza places that are done healthi-ER. He's honest and it's clear that he has a real passion for food and health. There is also a great little list at the end of health stores by neighborhood.
Clean Plates NYC, the book, retails for $13.95 and is well worth it in my opinion.
Why the Eff does Tyra give one poor girl with beautiful long hair a short haircut every season? The girl then wants to kill herself. And rightfully so. Long hair rocks! End scene.
I'm starting a new segment so beware all you blogger friends out there! Every few weeks I'm going to do a segment called 25 Things You Don't Know About Moi! So here goes mine to get the ball rolling!!!
1. I hate to workout but know that I'd be an amazing nutritionist/personal trainer. Do as I say, not as I do. La La La La!
2. Fiance and I get hooked after a movie talking like wherever the characters are from. After Zack and Miri make a porno we talked like Yoda for 2 months. After Taladega Nights with Will Ferrell we spoke in a Southern accent and kept talking about 6 pound 3 ounce baby Jesuses.
3. I drink green smoothies for breakfast with kale, spinach, cilantro, parsley, lemon and apple.
4. I love vampires–Twilight, True Blood, whatevs! Team Edward for lifeeeee.
5. I'm an amazing chef.
6. I just started reading books for pleasure like a year ago and every time I finish a book I tell Fiance that "I'm a real reader"
7. I like to get things done yesterday. I hate having things on my to-do list. I get very focused and in the zone and if I'm disturbed I get very angry.
8. I wear a sleep mask to bed. It says Peace at Last.
9. I give great home manicures but only to myself.
10. I started writing a book about being a single jewish girl but I always kept getting a boyfriend so it didn't get very far. It was in my idolizing of Carrie Bradshaw days.
11. I love puppies. Hate Cats.
12. I have 2 amazing sisters and 2 amazing parents.
13. I'm a lawyer by day.
14. I like trying new foods but I'm very particular as to what.
15. I workout in the morning before work. Sometimes. I like reading US Weekly and getting inspired by the anorexic celebs.
16. Water is my non-alcoholic drink of choice. I hate soda except at the movie theater with BUTTERED popcorn.
17. I like watching the same movies over and over and over. Empire Records is one of my favorites. Basically anything with a happy ending though.
18. The Natural History Museum is my favorite place in the city. I've been a half dozen times in the past couple years. I don't like any exhibit really I just like to walk around or sit in the lobby.
19. I went through a crazy obsession with cupcakes.
20. I used to be captain of the cheerleaders. Rah Rah Rah.
21. My nickname is Gooch in my family, Sista Gooch to be exact.
22. I love taking pictures.
23. Red wine is my favorite even though it turns my lips purple and tongue black.
24. I play chess but I'm terrible because I'm so impatient and just always want to make my move.
25. My fiance helped me write almost all of these. Guess he knows me better than I know myself.
I had the pleasure of attending Carmindy's Book Launch Event last week. As if you can't tell from our BFF-esque pic above but she is so sweet and looked absolutely amazing–as if we'd expect anything less. For those of y'all who don't know where you recognize her from, she dazzled us all on TLC's What Not to Wear with her ingenius makeup tips. She's also been seen on the editorial pages of leading magazines such as Cosmopolitan, Elle, InStyle, O, Essence, Self, Lucky, Seventeen, Marie Claire, and Glamour. As if she wasn't crazy, busy, beautiful enough, she recently co-created a natural line of cosmetics called Sally Hansen Natural Beauty inspired by Carmindy available in drugstores nationwide.
But about the book peeps. I obv got a copy from the party, I know it's a recession but that'd be pretty budget. I digress. The book, Crazy Busy Beautiful, is chock full o' Carmindy's beauty secrets for getting gorgeous fast. Case and points:
Mix a small amount of baking soda with liquid facial cleanser for brighter skin without bleaching.
Olive oil can serve as a good natural moisturizer if you're in a pinch
Put your Cream in the Fridge for a Cool, refreshing twist.
If you have a zit put lemon on it to dry it up in a flash. If it gets too dry don't put powder to conceal it.
You cannot shrink pores but you can keep them clean by exfoliating and following with glycolic lotion to keep sebum at bay.
It's a great subway read when you just have a couple minutes and are not in the mood for anything too deep. Easy. Breezy. Crazy. Busy. Beautiful. Carmindy.
I had the best time! Check out my pics!
Day Job Bestie, Andra Dallas!
Thanks for taking the pics, Ugochi!!!
I had the pleasure of getting the flu this week, which means constantly sitting still, missing Passover and watching everything you've missed out on in the past 6 months. Here's my Flu-vie Movie Roundup and Review of what's worth watching and what will make you feel sicker…
Did You Hear About the Morgans?
Pretty Terrible. I mean you know, if you know what to expect going into it there are a couple funny moments but most of it is just predictable and def not Hugh or Sarah's best.
Depressssssing times 100 but it's still amazing if you've read the books. Just great seeing it come to life. And I mean if Robert Pattinson won't make you feel better I don't know what will.
Actually pretty awesome. Typical high school happy ending drama. That said. Pretty entertaining and an Indie feel to it. Don't believe me that Vanessa Hudgens could be in a good movie? Check out teh reviews. It did pretty good.
Did you read the Sookie Stackhouse novels? I'm not sure which is less exciting. I'm sorry but this series doesn't hold a candle to New Moon. Nope. nope. Nope. Edward vs. Taylor rocks my world. I mean definitely entertaining but ehh. If you haven't seen Twilight I'd do that first.
Pretty funny for a romantic comedy. Betty White rocks my world. Once you get past the fact that Sandra B is about 20 years older than Ryan it's pretty enjoyable.
So adorable there are no words. Charlene Yi is the cutest little pumpkin ever. She's so loveable I want to marry her myself.