It seems like we can forget all about the heavy eye makeup and strong lines when it comes to makeup. If the SAG Awards taught us anything it’s that 2015 is all about fresh, soft beauty. We checked in with a celebrity makeup artist based in NYC, Allison Brooke. Here are a few trends as seen on the red carpet at this year’s SAG awards and Allison Brooke’s easy tips, tricks, and techniques to achieve the look!
Trend #1: A New Spin on Old Hollywood – Bright Red Lip
As seen on: Emma Stone, Reese Witherspoon, Sophia Vergara, Lupita Nyon’o
The red lip has been amped up for 2015 and is anything but boring. Go shiny like Sophia and Lupita, or stand out with a fiery take on a classic red, like Emma and Reese.
- Tip: Line and fill in lips with a red lip pencil for precision and long lasting color. Swipe a slightly brighter lipstick on top for a little pop.
- Tip: Keep the look cohesive by dapping a little bit of your lipstick on you cheeks as a cream blush.
- Tip: Keep the eyes natural, you don’t want your features competing with each other. Let your lip have the spotlight.
Trend #2: The Daytime Smokey Eye
As seen on: Claire Danes, Emmy Rossum, Keira Knightly
This year’s smokey eye is soft, approachable, and romantic.
- Tip: Swipe a soft brown eye shadow on lids. Smudge a black or gray pencil liner on upper and lower lids. It’s okay if the line isn’t perfect- that’s the idea. Finish with lengthening mascara.
- Tip: Keep skin, cheeks, and lips soft and glowey. The look is effortless and undone.
- Tip: Dab a shimmery highlight in the center of the lid to open up your eyes.
Trend #3: Bronzed and Peachy
As seen on: Meryl Streep, Naomi Watts, Julianne Moore
Warm skin with a luminous finish, nude lips, and peachy cheeks
- Tip: Achieve a supple glow by applying cream bronzer over tinted moisturizer. Dab blot powder only on the forehead, around the mouth and chin.
- Tip: Look for blush and lipstick in the same color family. Lighter skin tones should look for lipstick and blush with a pinky peach undertone. Medium skin tones can wear true peach. Darker skin tones should look for a stronger orange or copper tone.
- Tip: Balance the look with soft neutral eyes and long curled lashes.