Anyone who knows me know that I hate on diet coke like nobody's business. I've been trying to get my Mommy and friends to stop drinking it since (no joke) high school. It's evil! Cmon peeps, how can you poss think that something brown and in a can can't be all kinds of awful for you when it has artificial sweetener.
There are oh so many reasons why you should not drink the stuff. Here are just a few:
1. DC inhibits the signal in your brain that tells you that you're full.
2. DC can give you acne. It drains your body of its alkalinity, which we need to get our flawless complexion. My husband's dermatologist, who is pretty famous (Dr. Jeanette Graf) told him that if there is one thing you shouldn't drink out there–it's soda!
3. Aspartame in Diet Coke is on an EPA list of potentially dangerous chemicals contributing to neurotoxicity, right under Arsenic. That's a bit too close for comfort to me!
4. Diet Coke can make you fat. Yes, all you people out there guzzling DC to keep yourself feeling full when you're hungry are not doing yourself a favor. You can actually gain weight from Diet Coke! Two servings or more a day increases waistline by 500%, found two 2011 studies conducted by the School of Medicine at The University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio. 500% Y'all!!!!
5. The Harvard's Nurse's Study found that Diet Coke can decrease kidney function. Do you know what your kidneys do? Me neither. But not cool. I prefer my organs in working order, thank you!
6. Aspartame is linked to cancer. Like closely linked! The FDA says basically it's “generally recognized as safe” despite its link to cancer. Anyone else remember when they used to say that cigarettes weren't bad for you? Just c'mon. It contains three well known neurotoxins. Aspartame was found to increase cancer risk if exposure begins in the womb, reported a study at the Cesare Maltoni Cancer Research Center.
DC has also been linked to tumors in rats, the BPA is being studied in cans to see its harmful effects. And don't even get me started on the carmel dye.
So, how about you just trust me. It's not good for you! Switch to lemon water, doll faces!!! You'll thank me later.
Last week I Had the pleasure of seeing one of my very nearest and dearest friends for brunch. For $25 you get a brunch entree and 5 (Enormous) mimosas! (You can also get bloody Marys. The food is from a great restaurant. Far more respectable than most lower east side brunch places. Parlor is an excellent steakhouse and their booze is definitely higher class than any bottomless brunches I've ever been to!
I recommend the Steak and Eggs or the Parlor Salad with Salmon. (And if you feel like sneaking in some french fries they are amazing (get them with a side of bernaise!) They even have a great kids' meal.
Aaaaaaaaaa-mazing is all I have to say!
Have y'all heard of this crazy new diet called the OMG! Diet. It's so nutso. The diet is about as stupid as it sounds. OMG! advises you on how to drop 20 pounds in 6 weeks so that you can look hotter than your "BFF." Whilst I can't blame girls (especially younger ones) for being tempted by such promises, most experts (unsurprisingly) do not endorse this extreme diet, which suggests starting your day with an ice cold bath, blowing up balloons, drinking coffee pre-workout and skipping breakfast. You know, pretty much anything that you find to be soothing and comforting–do the opposite! I'm all for dropping extra pounds and the diet does endorse a large veggie intake (except for broccoli) but the competitiveness that it tries to get you to be driven by (being better looking and skinnier than your friends), while effective and mildly humorous for someone of my age is a rather depressing and bleak way to encourage a healthy lifestyle among our teenagers.
Have you tried the OMG! Diet?
Thanks to Oh She Glows for sharing this adorable image!! Remember you're beautiful just the way you are!
I couldn't wait to see The Dark Knight Rises two weeks ago. I could have even seen myself popping into a late night screening. Seems like it could have been fun and make a spooky movie even spookier. But after the horrible and terrible mayhem that occurred last week in Colorado I just can't bring myself to go see it. And after reading this Dark Knight Review I'm pretty sure that it's a little too dark for me!
Are you going to see it? Let me know in the comments.